Sunday, July 8, 2012

Everything (useful) I Learned in Life I Learned From Blair Waldorf

Gossip Girl has been my go-to guilty pleasure TV since it's premiere in 2007. I was a sophomore in a suburban Midwestern high school, buying my clothes ate Target and Forever 21, and I wanted nothing more than to be Blair Waldorf. If you're not familiar, she's basically a cultured, well-read, classy bitch living on the Upper East Side of Manhattan with hot boyfriends and the best wardrobe I've ever seen. And beyond all that, she is just so supremely confident. Even when she's being a heinous bitch, you still find yourself rooting for her.
So now, five seasons later, I realize that this girly-tween fictional CW character has taught me some valuable life lessons, and I thought I would share.
1. Always be a fierce friend
Blair is often a bitch, but it is almost always to help the people she loves. She takes friendship very seriously and will go to the ends of the earth to help her best friends. It's a great reminder for life in general. Everyone has a lot going on in their own lives, but it's important to always make time for the people in your life when they need you.

2. You can be with someone and be independent at the same time
Blair has been involved with every attractive guy on the show at some point or another, but she has almost always maintained her sense of self. A lot of teenage girls and women in their twenties can lose themselves in a relationship. Blair has been deeply in love, but she always has her priorities straight. She wouldn't settle for less than the best treatment from a man, and as much as she's in love, she wouldn't stay with someone if it wasn't in her best interest.

3. We've all got problems
 Blair has suffered through her parents' divorce and her father's subsequent move to Paris, her best friend leaving without a word, her boyfriend cheating on her with her best friend, and bulimia. And that's just in the first season. She's a good reminder that even those girls that you think are pretty, rich, and basically perfect, have problems too. Never judge a book by its cover, because you never know what someone might be going through.

4. Relationships should be fun!
Blair plays outlandish games with her beau where they seduce strangers, she dresses up as Anna Karenina, and she role plays as a dissatisfied customer and a waiter. In relationships it can be hard to really get it all out there and have fun, but Blair always does. She's not afraid to say what she wants and live life with a little kink, which we could all probably use more of!
5. Last but not least...
"Here's my advice. Have a little faith. And if that doesn't work, a lot of mimosas."

2 comments:

  1. welcome to the blog world.. your newest follower!
    xoxo
    Lisa
    http://www.somethinginfinitelyinteresting.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahha I love this post! And it kinda makes me wish I had started watching it with you guys when it first came out!

    ReplyDelete