Monday, July 9, 2012

The Quotable Twentysomething

A few weeks ago, I went to the Printers Row Lit Fest. It's a giant annual book fair in Chicago, and it happened to be taking place about 20 yards from my boyfriend's door, so needless to say I spent a ridiculous amount of time there. He even ended up liking it a lot too because they had a lot of antique things and he's a Pawn Stars-aholic.
Anyway, my favorite purchase had to be a handmade leather journal.
My new baby!
I've always wanted one, so I was thrilled that I could talk them down in price on the last day of the festival. It has parchment pages and its probably the prettiest thing I've ever owned. But there's one problem: as much as I love to blog and write stories, I have never been much of a journaler. I probably have about a dozen little notebooks in a closet somewhere that have one or two entries in them before I forgot all about them.
So because I didn't want this journal to succumb to the same "stuffed in a box in a closet" fate, I had to come up with something better to do with it. And that's where I got my new project!
I love quotes. I think it's so wonderful to find a quote that sums up exactly how you feel, because it reminds you that you're not alone in feeling that way. So I'm filling this journal with all of my favorite quotes. It's going to be quite an undertaking, considering I'm about seven pages in and my hand already started cramping like crazy, but I'm excited for it to be filled one day.
And when it's done? I like the idea of having a tangible catalog of quotes I love, not something on Pinterest. Don't get me wrong, I love pinning! This just seems more real. And my end goal is to one day have a teenage daughter I can give it to so that she can have all the wisdom of some of my favorite people (politicians, writers, celebrities) all in one place.
So in the theme of quotes, I'll leave you with one that I've already added to the book:
"If you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."  - Conan O'Brien

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful notebook! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go to a book fair! Sounds FABULOUS. I go through phases on journaling. In high school I was REALLY good about it, in college- notsomuch. Guess what? We are BOTH good at it now, because we blog! I do have a journal now that the hubs is deployed (that he doesn't know about), where I am documenting this deployment. I plan on giving it to him when he returns. I also include quotes :)

    ReplyDelete