Monday, July 23, 2012

Fighting Apathy, or Giving a Fuck

I tend to disagree.
Not to gang up on the generation I'm a part of or anything, but I'm really sick of hearing variations of the phrase "I don't give a fuck."
Apathy isn't cute, kids.
There's a whole big world out there happening around you, so by saying you "don't give a fuck", you're essentially saying you don't care to be a part of, as author John Green so eloquently put it, "the miracle of human consciousness."
I give a lot of fucks. So many, in fact, that I could be and have before been deemed a nerd. But you know, I would much rather be a nerd than be like so many of the kids I see on social networks these days with their statuses like "just gonna get wasted and get high as fuck because YOLO." (Okay, that may be a made up exaggeration, but I wouldn't be surprised if some poor kid had that exact status right now).
Because here's the thing: I think caring about things is beautiful. Even if it makes you cool, I don't want to "not give a fuck". I want to finish school, I want to become a teacher, and I want to achieve the goals I set out to achieve in life. If that makes me a nerd, guilty as charged. And with the power to mold young minds, I hope that I can convince even one kid not to give in to the pressure to denounce all passions as "uncool". Because, when it comes down to it, I might have a lot of emotions and sometimes I might hate it, but it's better than being numb to the world around you. I'd rather be myself (someone who is really emotional over the final season of Desperate Housewives, who reads 2 books a week, and who tries to keep up on what's happening in the world, even if it is via Huffington Post and not CNN) than someone who glides through adolescence only caring about where I'm getting drunk next weekend.
So whether what you love is running, or Glee, or crafting your entire pinboard, go do it! And get excited about it! Because what we need in this life is a hell of a lot more passion. 
So sorry for calling my own generation out, but IGAF.


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!! I hate people that say they don't care about school. Seriously? That's like my top priority! Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree we need more passion in life, I think sometimes people just find it hard to know where to direct it which is a shame. I love your blog though and I don't know if you've been nominated for the Liebster award before, but I nominated your blog :)

    http://youcancallmejadey.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete