Thursday, July 5, 2012

Skinny Bitch

I am an avid social networker. I have this blog, a tumblr, a facebook, a twitter, a pinterest, an instagram... the list kind of makes me feel ridiculous. But I've seen a disturbing trend these days among all of my favorite sites: Thinspo. From what I gather, it's just girls posting pictures that are either of someone who is near anorexic or someone skinny that has been photoshopped to look even skinnier, and this is supposed to inspire them to stay thin.
Just an example of what you can find on the tumblr thinspo tag
The caption to the above picture was "lose 6 more pounds to my goal weight!". Obviously, these thinspo and pro ana girls are extreme examples, but even fairly normal, healthy girls I know bash their bodies on a regular basis. It makes me sad. I want to shake them all and just tell them that being skinny does NOT mean being happy. 
I would know. When I was seventeen, I became very sick. I couldn't keep food in me, I was living on ginger ale and saltines, and I was missing tons of school. I lost almost 40 pounds and I was miserable. I was eventually diagnosed with Crohn's disease. To my disbelief, at school and work people were constantly asking me what my "secret" was to losing so much weight and complimenting me on how fantastic I looked. When I told them I was seriously ill, they would tell me how "jealous" they were and how they wished they had a disease that made them skinny. I could barely contain my disgust when people said things like that to me.
This is me (on the right), the day after I was diagnosed. I was 100 lbs and it was an effort to drag myself out of bed to go to Turnabout.
After my diagnosis I went on medication and starting slowly but surely feeling loads healthier and gaining weight back. Today, I'm not ever 100% healthy, as is the nature of having an autoimmune disease, but my quality of life is so much better. There are definitely days I wish I could pull off a bandage dress, but being so unhealthy senior year has really made me appreciate my body exactly the way it is. I would much rather be able to eat, be healthy, and be a size 6 than starve myself to be a size 2. Skinny does not mean happy, and I wish more girls realized that. 
This is me this year (i'm on the right!). 30 pounds heavier and happier than ever.
I know that not every girl's story is as dramatic as having an illness. But there's a quote I stumbled upon on one of my many social networks, and I think it's something everyone should realize:
"The scale can only give you a numerical reflection of your relationship with gravity. That's it. It cannot measure beauty, talent, purpose, life force, possibility, strength, or love."

7 comments:

  1. So true, girl! I've never been one of those "skinny" girls but I love my curves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! I just stumbled on your blog, and its so adorable!! I'd love it if we followed each other:)

    Shelby xoxo
    shelbychasingbirdies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Following now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam I Am! I remember when I had mono and everyone was like "Wow you look fabulous, I wish i had mono!" Soooooooo dumb, not a thing I'd wish on someone!

    But I'm happy you're healthy now and we can eat cheese fries with ranch to our heart's content:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stumbled upon your blog. This is such an excellent post & so true!!! I totally agree skinny doesn't mean happy. It's so sad how society has put this skinny mindset in everyone's minds. It's more be perfect - your hair body looks etc. it makes me sick. I try through my blog to show you can still be trendy & chic but natural at the say time. To embrace the imperfections. Anyway great post, new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  6. just stumbled on ur blog, great post wish girls who know size doesn't matter could preach this on to all young girls!! :) now following, follow back:)
    adayinthelifeofmektt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete