Tuesday, August 28, 2012

The Best of My Summer Reading List, and Why You Should Read Them Too

bib·li·o·phile/ˈbiblēəˌfīl/

Noun:
A person who collects or has a great love of books.
I love reading. Always have. Ever since I first learned to read, I've pretty much constantly had a reading list a mile long. That's a big part of the reason I want to become an English teacher, so I can help other kids realize that reading can be fun. I recently got my boyfriend (who has read a total of like 4 books in his life) addicted to The Hunger Games trilogy, and if I can make him like reading, I'm pretty sure I can convert anyone to a reader. This summer I read just under two dozen, but I thought I'd share some of my favorites with my lovely followers.

Best Book that was Turned into a MovieThe Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey EugenidesI loved the way this was written, I loved the story (albeit morbid), and I loved the characters. It was so creative and so different than anything I've read that it really stuck with me and I found myself constantly thinking about it or wanting to talk about it. After I finished the book, I watched the movie, starring Kirsten Dunst and Josh Hartnett. As far as movie adaptations go, it was great. I wasn't expecting much going into it, but it really portrayed the book well. That being said, I'd still definitely read it before you watch it: the book is always better than the movie.
"In the end, the tortures tearing the Lisbon girls pointed to a simple reasoned refusal to accept the world as it was handed down to them, so full of flaws."
The Book You Should Read NowThe Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew QuickI'm not gonna lie, I ordered this book because of Jennifer Lawrence. This book is being turned into a movie starring her and Bradley Cooper, and being a huge Jenny Lawrence fan, I watched the trailer when it first came out and thought it looked really great. As far as the book goes, it took me a few pages to get used to Quick's style, but when I did I really loved the story. Mental illness is a difficult topic that Quick manages to handle gracefully. Now I'm anxiously awaiting the film's premiere!
“Life is not a PG feel-good movie. Real life often ends badly. Literature tries to document this reality, while showing us it is still possible for us to endure nobly.”
The Book That Made Me Wish Mindy Kaling Was My Best FriendIs Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy KalingYou might know her as Kelly from The Office, but this book proves she's so much more than that. I would go as far as to say this was the best book I've read all summer. Sure, it's not an instant literary classic, but it was so honest. It made me LITERALLY laugh out loud. I read the majority of it sitting on my boyfriend's couch and stopping after every story to tell him something funny Mindy said, like I know her personally. And that's honestly the main outcome of this book: you will feel like Mindy Kaling is your new BFF. I highly recommend following her on Twitter as well: she's just as charming in 140 characters or less as she is in this collection of essays.
I’m the kind of person who would rather get my hopes really high and watch them get dashed to pieces than wisely keep my expectations at bay and hope they are exceeded. This quality has made me a needy and theatrical friend, but has given me a spectacularly dramatic emotional life.












No comments:

Post a Comment