Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pics Or It Didn't Happen: Keeping It Classy In The Age Of Social Media

As a complete social media junkie, I understand the temptation to update everyone you've ever met in regular intervals of what you're doing. Cute new manicure? Instagram that shit. Going to a new bar? Better check in on facebook. Wearing a particularly cute outfit? You should probably post an Outfit of the Day post on your tumblr so your internet friends and acquaintances will think you're someone with style (even if this cute outfit is the first time you've been out of sweatpants in days).
I love OOTD posts as much as anyone
That being said, there are some people I'm sure I would like a lot better if I never saw them tweet again. People who hashtag #prettygirlproblems, I'm talking to you. Who are you trying to convince? Without sounding too much like my high school cheerleading coach when she handed out of "code of conduct" contracts to sign, your internet presence probably shouldn't make you look like a self-involved, drunken barbie with questionable morals an ego the size of One Direction's fan base.
Yep, I'm sure that's why.
Keeping it classy in this day and age is difficult when it takes all of two seconds to add a filter to a picture of you doing a keg stand and put it out there for the whole world and your grandma to see. But that's why it's all the more important. There seems to be an attitude amongst my generation that if you don't tweet about something it somehow didn't really happen. But I guarantee you, it did! My best friends and I had a girls night a few weekends ago while everyone was home from school. We didn't take any pictures. Guess what? It was still SO MUCH FUN. And no one had to know about it.
We did take pictures on NYE, but look! Everyone is fully clothed and no one looks like a hot mess (yet)
This is especially important when it comes to your more reckless decisions, like drunken injuries and especially rough nights out. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm struggling home at 5 AM with a sprained ankle because I fell off the table I was dancing on, I don't consider that my finest moment. Or one that I want my Facebook friends reading about.
So next time you feel the urge to whip out your phone and tweet about your walk of shame, your fifth selfie of the day, or your #princessproblems (Real tweet: "Ugh I hate painting my own nails! #princessproblems), RESIST. Try instead to keep your updates to your friends in the realm of the funny, relevant, and intelligent. If you're looking for inspiration, I'm hardcore in love with Mindy Kaling. In 10 years, you'll be really glad you did. (Trust me. I recently found my Xanga from 7th grade. It's not pretty).
This girl knows how to tweet.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post! You're so right about social media! I'm your newest follower :) ps thanks for the follow on my page!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm literally dying, this is so true. The worst is people who are on a new diet and they instagram every.damn.meal. looking for likes. Because likes = support, right? I'm guilty of posting my food if it's damn good though, not even lying haha.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete