Thursday, January 16, 2014

Post-Holiday Product Review

The Christmas season was good to me this year, especially when it comes to beauty products. I'm always on the lookout for new products, but hesitant to buy them. There's nothing worse than dropping a chunk of money on a hair or skin product only to realize it doesn't actually work the magic it promises. So here, I'll give you the breakdown of the products I've been using for the past few weeks and whether or not they actually work as advertised.

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Enzyme Pineapple Mask 
$3.99, available at most drugstores
With the bitter Chicago cold drying out my skin, I was excited to get a face mask as a gift that promises to "restore radiant skin." After one use I did notice that my skin looked brighter and felt softer. The directions recommend use twice a week for best and most noticeable results. And for those of you who don't love looking like a crazy person in a green or brown face mask, fear not- this one is clear. Especially considering the low price, I'd say this is worth the buy, especially if you're just looking for something quick and natural to soften your skin.

ColorProof Crazy Smooth Extreme Shine Treatment Oil
$34.99 for 3.4 oz., SleekHair.com
 This one little bottle boasts a lot of benefit for your hair: It's a 2012 American Salon Professional's Choice Winner (among others), it's 100% Vegan and sulfate-free for the environmentally conscious, and it claims to instantly defrizz hair. I've been inundated left and right lately about how good oil is for your locks, but I wasn't exactly sure how to use it. My friend/hair stylist told me to apply it just to my ends, while hair is damp. After doing so, I literally could not stop touching my hair. It was so soft and shiny I almost couldn't believe it. So yes, it's definitely a pricier hair product, but if you have especially especially difficult to tame frizz, it's probably worth a try. 

Tigi Bed Head Totally Baked Hair Meringue
$15.95, Target
This product is billed as "volumizing and prepping hair meringue," so it works similarly to mousse. It's a good drying agent, and I see a lift in my roots when I use it. Word to the wise- don't use too much, or it will make your hair look greasy. Depending on the amount of hair you have, a small pump or two should be plenty. By far the selling point on this product, though, is the "totally baked" part. It literally makes your hair smell like cake. Sometimes mousse has a chemically, hair product smell, but this one doesn't have that issue at all, instead leaving your hair smelling sweet all day.

It's a 10 Miracle Leave-In for Blondes
$22.95, JC Penney Salons as well as Select Drugstores
Of all the products I got this holiday season, this might be my favorite. The product claims to do 10 things instantly, from toning your color to serving as a heat and UV protectant. My favorite thing about it is that along with all of those other benefits, it also detangles, something I desperately need for my thick, long hair. It's a bit expensive for a bottle that's not huge, but you don't need a lot of product when you use it, so I expect it to last quite a while. 



No comments:

Post a Comment