Tuesday, February 25, 2014

"Drink Wine and Suffer" or, How to Deal with Senioritis

It's so surreal that I'm a senior in college. In a matter of months I'll have successfully gotten a college degree, which is amazing and awesome, but also a little scary. In a year's time or less, I could be (and hopefully will be) off living across the country, with a big kid job and apartment to boot. It's a lot to think about.

I wanted to do a post about senioritis, because it's something that's been at the front of my consciousness lately. I've always been a hyper-motivated student when it comes to school and grades, but this semester is a different story. It's like that light-at-the-end-of-the-tunnel feeling is making it that much harder to do mundane tasks like homework. Normally, I can sit down and just crank assignments out. Now I'm finding myself looking for any excuse not to do my work. I know everyone always jokes about senioritis, but at least in mine and my friends experience, it's a very real thing.
been friends with these beauties since freshman year, it's crazy to think we're all almost done
I think there's a lot that contributes to the major motivational drop-off that comes in the home stretch of high school, college, grad school, whatever. For me right now, I feel incredibly conflicted: part of me is over the whole school thing because I feel really ready to just get out there in the professional world. I find myself prioritizing writing for my portfolio when I should be doing assignments that are actually due, because I enjoy it a lot more and because I can see the tangible benefits. In my mind, I'm thinking "isn't it a better use of my time to be researching an article than to be studying for this test?" But I also know that I have to make it through these last months of school, or those professional goals won't happen because I won't have my degree. It's a constant battle between what I want to do and am passionate about, and what I know I have to do to get there.

Another factor is that ever-present fear of missing out. Senior year makes you super nostalgic, and you become acutely aware that this is it. One of my sorority sisters forwarded us an article recently about making the most of your last semester of college. One thing on the list was that since you'll never be in college again, you should take advantage of that "going four nights a week" thing while you still can. And for some reason, ever since I read that article, I find it harder and harder to say no to plans with friends in favor of schoolwork. That's the thing about senioritis- you know what you should be doing, but you can totally justify why you should go to the bar instead because it's your last semester! Soon, it definitely won't be socially acceptable (or wise for your sleep schedule) to stay out til 1 AM on a Wednesday because it's dollar beer night.
dollar beers!
So apologies to my fellow seniors that I have no words of wisdom on how to get over senioritis and get your life together- sadly, I don't. If I did, I wouldn't have taken a three hour nap yesterday in place of getting an early start on my midterm. But just know that everyone is in the same boat. When I'm procrastinating with my third consecutive hour of Netflix or a trip to the bar instead of getting shit done, it's nice to know that my roommates are doing the same thing. Maddie gave the best, most concise advice I could think to give someone suffering from senioritis: "just drink wine and suffer."

So accept your fate, enjoy yourself, and do what you've got to do to pass your classes (after all, you don't want to go through this again when you have to repeat a semester). Don't beat yourself up about it- it's a very rare senior who still feels as motivated as they did freshman year. So pour yourself a drink, have fun, and promise yourself you'll do your homework on Sunday. That's what Sundays are for, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment