Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Match Made in Heaven: Printed Co-ordinates

I am, admittedly, obsessed with clothes. I live in downtown Chicago, where some of the best shopping is out my front door and down the block. I inhale fashion spreads in magazines, and I obsessively followed Fashion Month tweets. But in my own life, I'm a girl from the Midwest who's sometimes afraid to try the new trends I see and love so much. When I was growing up, if you went to school in a sundress and a cardigan, people asked why you were so dressed up. Jeans and t-shirts are decidedly the uniform of small towns, and it's hard to pull yourself out of that mindset. 

But it's my resolve now that I'm living in a big city to try new things. Not everyone will love it or get it, sure, but the way you dress can be a beautiful form of self-expression, so as long as it makes you happy, who cares? So with that in mind, here's one of the spring 2014 trends I am in love with, and can't wait to try myself: co-ordinates.

Co-ordinates are great because they're so versatile: buy a co-ord set and you can wear it together or wear the pieces separately, making it worth your money much more than a traditional one-piece dress. There's so much potential to create new outfits from the two pieces. Also, though, I love the idea of wearing them together. Getting matchy with print pieces (or texture knits) is a pop of excitement in the sea of people on the streets all sticking to solid colors and styles. You can match a skirt and crop top co-ord for a cocktail event, or go for shorts and a jacket combo for class. 

While designer co-ords are everywhere, they're still a bit hard to find for a reasonable price. I'm including some of my favorites here that won't break the bank. And just remember: buying a co-ordinates is like buying a shirt, a skirt, and a dress all in one, so you don't have to feel bad about the money spent!
Slimskii, $44.95 for set
AQUA, $58 for top, $78 for bottom
Bohoo.com, $32 for top and $26 for bottom

Boohoo.com, $40 for top and $32 for bottom
Topshop, $140 for set





No comments:

Post a Comment