Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Spring Product Review: Redken

I recently went on a little bit of a shopping spree, dropping an ill-advised amount of cash on beauty products. I've always loved Redken's products, and since a few weeks ago I decided to go ombre with my hair, I knew it was time to invest in some good products to keep it from fading. Here's the low-down on three of the products I got from Redken.
Gettin my natural ombre on

Color Extend Shampoo, $16
I bought this on a tip from a friend who's also a hair stylist, because ombre-ing my hair meant dying the top half from it's natural blonde to a medium brown color. Without some sort of shampoo for color treated hair, the dye would fade faster than you can say ombre. So I made the investment in this shampoo, and I have to say I'm really happy with it. The first reaction I had was that it smells great, which is important to me in a hair product: it smells like you just stepped out of the salon. It promises all the strength and shine of normal Redken shampoo, with the added bonus of extending your dye job. I've definitely noticed my hair has started to fade and lighten, but I think that's more just because of the nature of dying blonde hair brown, not because the shampoo isn't doing it's job.

Color Extend Conditioner, $15
The natural pairing for the color extend shampoo, my thoughts on the conditioner are generally similar. It seems to work well, it smells great, and it doesn't leave my hair with that heavy feeling cheap conditioners tend to have. The only issue I have with the conditioner is that it may not be the best bang for your buck, unless you manage to find a great deal on one of the big bottles. I have long, thick hair, so the fact that this bottle is significantly smaller than the shampoo bottle just doesn't work for me. I probably over-condition a bit, but even so, this bottle won't last you very long to be as worthwhile for the price as it could be.

Pillow Proof Express Primer, $23

As I mentioned, I have a lot of hair. So much, in fact, that blow-drying tends to become a really long and tedious process. So when I was standing in the check-out line and saw Pillow Proof, I had to try it out. Essentially, you spray it on your wet hair before you blow dry, and Redken makes the claim that it will cut your blow dry time in half. Naturally, I was skeptical. But after trying it, it really works well. I don't know if it cut my time in half, exactly, but it definitely saved me at least 10-15 minutes, which can be crucial when you're getting ready in the morning. Added bonus, it makes your hair extra shiny and smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment