Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Making a Memorable Mother's Day

The older I get, the more grateful I become for my parents. Not only do they do a million little things for me, they're also some of the most avid supporters of my crazy big dreams. They've never made me feel like anything was out of my reach, and because of that, I've learned to reach even higher.

So obviously, days like Mother's Day are important. Even though I'm a broke college student, I still want to show my mom how much I appreciate her. So I've put together some ideas for all of you out there in a similarly tight-budget spot. After all, it's the thought behind the gift or gesture, not the cost, that counts.

Go Sentimental
A few years back, I used iMovie to create a slideshow as my mom's Mother's Day gift. I put pictures of us and my sister to the song "The Best Day" by Taylor Swift. Cheesy? Hell yes. But did she love it? Absolutely. She cried. So even if you don't have a ton of money, you can put those basic computer skills to work and make something cute. Also, a reasonably priced picture frame will only run you around 8 dollars, and getting a picture of the two of you printed at your local pharmacy usually costs less than a quarter.

Get Crafty
Feeling Pinterest inspired? Moms never get tired of handmade gifts, and now you can upgrade from the 2nd grade macaroni necklace to a cute painted canvas or a custom flower pot. If you're a good cook, you can even go the route of homemade candy or baked goods. After all, she's probably done her fair share of cooking for you over the years–– it's time to turn the tables.

Make a Day of it
In my experience, my mom has always liked activities more than gifts. So make memories with your mom this weekend! Rather than getting her something, take her somewhere, whether it's brunch, shopping, getting your nails done, whatever the case may be. Maybe there's a movie she's been dying to see, or she's always wanted to go kayaking. Whatever the case may be, your time is always more valuable to her than money spent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment