Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Ask the Lazy Girl: The Name Game


Dear Lazy Girl,

Have you ever wanted to change your name? If so, why and what would you change it to? If not, what is it about your name that you love?

Sincerely,

Jessica of "The Pen and the Needle"


Dear Jessica,

Thanks for your question! As a kid, I hated my name with a passion because it was so common. Literally everyone and their mom was named Samantha. There were 3 Samanthas on my softball team alone, and when I was in junior high I was one of four Sam. R's.

Literally the only cool parts of my name were one, that I was named after the TV show Bewitched, and Elizabeth Montgomery was cool as hell. And two, that there was an American Girl doll named Samantha, and she was obviously the classiest one.

But it's a good thing kids aren't allowed to pick their names, because I probably would've named myself Topanga or something. And as I've grown up, I've grown to really like my name. I think Sam fits my personality really well, and "Samantha Reid" looks nice as a byline. So I've given up on my uNiQuE~* name dreams.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering my question! I feel your pain about having a common name, because I used to hate mine too. However, as I've grown I've come to appreciate my name (I was named after two of my oldest aunts, who are wonderful women, by the way) and the fact that my parents gave me one that was decent. I would rather be named Jessica than Apple or Pilot Inspektor any day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and by the way, I love your blog! That's why I've nominated you for the Very Inspirational Blogger Award: http://thepenandtheneedle.blogspot.com/2014/06/very-inspiring-blogger-award.html :)

    ReplyDelete