I'm from Chicago, so our version of the beach is Lake Michigan. Make do with whatever watering hole you have nearest to you and go catch some (safe) rays! And don't forget to bring this stuff along:
1. In-print Rucksack. This great carry-all from Shoplet Promos makes the perfect beach bag–– It's roomy enough to hold your towel, sunscreen, and everything else you might need without being overly bulky thanks to it's lightweight material. Plus, the nautical-inspired stripe pattern makes it look extra beachy. And the front pockets are perfect for holding your phone and wallet without risking getting sand on everything.
2. Straw Sun hat. Floppy hats are one of my favorite things lately. They're stylish enough to be worn to almost any outdoor event, but they really find their home best at the beach. Paired with an SPF and sunglasses it not only makes a style statement but also protects your skin.
3. Shirtdress Cover-up. This makes the perfect easy-breezy menswear inspired cover-up. It keeps in simple on the water, but then add a belt and it looks like a put-together outfit in transit to and from your beach day.
4. San Pellegrino Aranciata Rossa. The blood orange flavor is delicious, and it'll make you feel like you're on the French Riviera even if you're just at a local lake.
5. Tortoise Shell Half-frame Sunglasses. Add to the retro feel of the floppy hat and shirtdress with these tortoise sunnies. At $10, there's really no reason not to–– they're sure to serve you well all summer long.
6. T Ankle Strap Sandals. There are a lot of cute sandals out now, but going overly bulky or strappy is a mistake when you're trudging up a sand dune. Keep it simple and stylish with these versatile flats.
7. High Waisted Bikini. Show off your curves in a high waisted bikini like this one, extra points if it's in a cute pattern. The bustier top is also super-flattering.
8. One More Thing. No beach day is complete without something to read, and this collection of short stories is a perfect choice for quick spurts of humor between dips. Plus it was written by "The Office" writer BJ Novak, so it's a comedy win-win.