Monday, June 16, 2014

The (Short) List of Reasons I'm Thankful for my Dad

1. Without him, my taxes would literally never get done correctly.

2. If it were up to my mother, I would have grown up as the world's girly-est princess. Thanks to my dad, my favorite childhood toy was a Tonka truck. I'm a much more balanced human for it.

3. He took me to my first White Sox game, and like a million since then. Thanks to him I can talk small ball with the best of 'em.

4. He spent far too many nights helping a very frustrated, crying 4th grade me learn long division.

5. He brought me up on Saturday Night Live and stand-up comedy, a huge part of my personality I'll probably never be able to appropriately thank him for.

6. He let me make my mistakes, even when he knew they were mistakes.

7. He made the World's Best Softball Coach for practically a full decade.

8. He never missed a choir concert or a solo recital, even when all the music was in Italian and he was bored out of his mind.

9. He let me stay up past my bed time every Tuesday to watch Buffy.

10. He took me on my first trip out of the country, and always encourages me to see more of the world.

11. By having Meet the Press on in the background of every Sunday morning breakfast, he forcibly taught me the importance of understanding what's happening in the world around me.

12. He always stressed the importance of intelligence and independence over the superficial stuff.

13. He never fails to be proud of a new article I post, whether it's something big or just what movies are coming out this week.

14. He let me pick all his Fantasy Football players based on whose name I liked best, which will make a six year old feel incredibly important.

15. Having him as a dad means never having to see a super hero movie or a new installment of Star Trek alone.

16. He got us our first set of golf clubs, and our first fishing poles with "Snoopy" cartoons on them.

17. He not only embraced my intense love of musicals, but joined in, taking me to see Rent for the first time.

18. He doesn't just accept my less than traditional path, he actively encourages and supports it–– and lets me babble on about it for hours at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment